As of right now I'm not moving to another state. My boyfriend is still job hunting, waiting to hear back from a couple interviews and waiting for more. Sometimes it is really hard to just trust God and His timing but I have been learning that lesson.
My friend got married yesterday. I was Maid of Honor and it went pretty well. No major meltdowns, my speech was ok and lots of fun dancing with my boyfriend. I'm glad to have the year of two weddings down. It was stressful to be in two weddings and all entailed. Learned a lot of things I do not want want at my own. It was kinda fun discussing wedding music with my boyfriend and family today.
I am learning just how nerdy my boyfriend and I are. He is teaching me how to play Dungeons and Dragons. Next Saturday we are getting together with his friends to play. I met them last month and played a different game with them. It was fun and I enjoyed the company. My family were such teases while he was teaching me. Last night my dad comes over and is like "Is that the textbook for nerds?" My mother kept trying to understand why you would spend 3 hours just preparing a character for a game you haven't even started playing! My sister kept rolling her eyes and calling us nerds. I am in part learning to play this game because of how excited Matt gets about it. At times over the past two days, I have just been studying the look on his face and light in his eyes while explaining things to me. He is a really patient teacher who has a good way of explaining things for maximum understanding. Very willing to listen to questions and even use multiple methods to explain if I am confused.
Then today we went on a cemetery walk. This is where a local town has people dress up like citizens that are buried in that cemetery. This year was the 25th anniversary. I think Matt enjoyed it, especially being with me. The one gravestone had a golf ball and a bowling ball on it. So my sister was like, "Matt can put one of his nerd dice on his."
I love how well my boyfriend stands up to teasing, from me and my family. They like to tease about his habit of wearing black, his math brain, his being a nerd and when we play games together. He just laughs, smiles and sometimes even comes back with a quip of his own. I have former friends that would feel like your teasing was an attack and get very defensive about it. But then they would tease me--often in a heart way that left scars I still deal with.
I am also very thankful with how mellow and calm Matt can be. There are now like 3 or 4 examples of games or activities that I have failed to fully explain to him. Like tonight I ended up "cheating" by not looking again fully at the rules for a game I have not played in awhile. This lead to me winning but it might have been a closer game without my misstep. Matt did not yell at me or go off in a huff like I might have done. Instead he just called me a "cheater" with a smile and granted forgiveness as soon as I asked. So instead of feeling like a total failure and wanting to crawl into a hole, I instead smiled, gave him a hug and was reminded yet again why I love him. “A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers.” -Ruth Bell Graham
Because of Matt's example, I am slowly becoming a better person. I am learning that some things are not worth arguing or complaining about. I also am standing up better to teasing I receive. He is able to calm me down with a smile, hug or kind word. I look up to him in so many ways and respect the person that he is. He is very wise, kind, steady and funny too. In many ways he is one of the biggest nerds I know. I am still in awe sometimes of how God put us together and how compatible we are. I never thought in my wildest dreams I would find such a great man. We am very alike in many of our tastes, upbringing and desires for the future. But we have differences too which I think makes us a stronger couple. We have both learned to forgive, laugh and love more over the past 18 months. Without him in my life, I would be very lonely and most likely still stuck in my pit of despair. Everyday I breathe many prayers of thanks to God and I look forward to seeing what He has planned for these two dice rolling, card playing, movie watching nerds.
No comments:
Post a Comment